Ukraine: Reconstructing Healthcare facilities and services in two war-affected municipalities
Reparation works of the Primary Healthcare Center in Hurivshchyna village. © DESPRO NGO
Description of the Project
In collaboration with our trusted partner organisations from Ukraine, DESPRO NGO and All Ukrainian Association of Amalgamated Communities, Skat Foundation has been working tirelessly to rebuild the health centers in these communities.
With this project, we support the entire population of the two municipalities: adults, children, the elderly and other vulnerable groups. In total, we will be able to rebuild health services for more than 25,000 people, and strengthen the resilience of the two municipal governments.
The reconstructed Primary Healthcare Center in Hurivshchyna village. © DESPRO NGO
Project Period: 2022 – ongoing
Name of Staff involved and functions performed: Matthias Saladin, Project Coordinator
Reparation in Hurivshchyna village.
- The reconstruction of the Primary Health care Center in Hurivshchyna village, Dmytriwka, was completed at the end of 2022.
- Medical equipment, office equipment and medical supplies were delivered by the project, and staff were trained on the use of the new equipment.
- This center is now fully functional and provides a full spectrum of health care to 4,764 people, not only from Hurivshchyna village but also from other nearby villages in the municipality.
Reparation of facilities in Shpyt’ky village.
- The insulation of the outpatient clinic in the village of Shpyt`ky in the Dmytrivka community was completed in June 2023.
- Furniture, equipment and medical supplies to the healthcenter facility were delivered.
- The clinic provides services to 14 villages that compose Dmytrivka community, serving over 2,300 people.
Quality health care services are being offered to the public. © DESPRO NGO
Medical staff using the ultrasound machine in a patient for diagnostic purposes.
© DESPRO NGO
We know there is still much work to be done. We have identified the need to upgrade and equip two healthcare facilities in Hostomel, namely the Hostomel Primary Healthcare Center and Moshchun Health Center, which will improve healthcare services for more than 28,000 people in the surrounding area.
During the occupation, these premises were used by the Russian militaries as local military headquarters. All the medical equipment was either destroyed or substantially damaged. Although local authorities have reconstructed the facilities, the need for upgraded and modern medical equipment, particularly early diagnosis of cancer and ultrasound machines, is still pressing. In light of this, we are committed to raising funds to address these urgent needs and continue to support the population affected by the war.
- Lotteriefonds Kanton St. Gallen Swissloss
- Katholischen Konfessionsteil des Kantons St.Gallen
- Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) Programme Contribution
- Lotteriefonds Kanton Thurgau
- Borer Chemie AG
- Individual donations from private persons and companies