The Report 2022 of the Sufosec Alliance is out!
The first report of the Sufosec Alliance
World Food Day is celebrated each year on October 16th, to promote worldwide awareness and action for those who suffer from hunger and for the need to ensure healthy diets for all, leaving no one behind. According to the Annual Report 2022 of the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO), up to 828 million people are affected by hunger, which represents an increase of about 150 million between 2019 and 2021.
The first report of the Alliance for Sustainable Food Systems and Empowered Communities (Sufosec) reinforces these results. Out of the 14,000 households surveyed in 16 countries at project start, 25% were affected by hunger and 65% had limited access to food. The Sufosec Report 2022 central statements highlight that:
- Hunger and malnutrition are affecting women the most – they are often the ones to feed last. This has been observed in all Sufosec project regions.
- The COVID pandemic and the Ukraine war are drastically increasing hunger. On top of that come food speculation, lack of land for food cultivation, biodiversity loss and the climate crisis. These challenges need to be addressed in an integrated way.
- Politics, business and civil society must work jointly to enable the development of solutions towards achieving SDG 2 – Zero Hunger.
The Sufosec Alliance is engaged in combatting malnutrition and hunger in an integrated manner, by promoting agroecological practices and strengthening local food systems, and thus the resilience of communities. The goal is to reduce malnutrition and hunger in the Sufosec project areas by 20% until the end of 2024.
The Sufosec Report 2022 presents the promising results achieved so far:
- 291,000 households apply at least 1 agroecological farming method.
- 52,000 households newly implement agroecological practices every year.
- 8,300 families were able to feed themselves sufficiently, sustainably and healthily per year.
The Alliance partners will continue to work together to intensify and broaden these results. The next report will be published in 2024.
Download the Sufosec Report 2022
Follow the links below to download the Sufosec Report 2022 in German or French.
Panel discussion of the Sufosec Alliance
On October 21st, the Alliance will hold its first panel discussion: “Is Africa starving more because of the Ukraine war? Ways out of the food crisis”. The event will take place in Bern, and will comprise a presentation of the Sufosec Report 2022, followed by a panel discussion with representatives of the Alliance (SWISSAID, Fastenaktion and Vétérinaires sans Frontières – Suisse), the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation, the Geneva Academy of International Humanitarian Law and Rights, and the University of Bern.
About the Sufosec Alliance
The Sufosec Alliance is the partnership between six Swiss NGOs: Aqua Alimenta, Fastenaktion, Skat Foundation, SWISSAID, Vétérinaires Sans Frontières Suisse and Vivamos Mejor. The Alliance was established in 2020 and implements a 4-year joint programme (2021-2024) co-funded by the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation.
The Sufosec Alliance in numbers
- Number of project countries: 34
- Number of projects: 462
- Beneficiaries: 1.09 million households
- Alliance member expenditzure: CHF 58.2 million per year